Friday 20 April 2012

Put this in the scrapbook.

A couple of weeks ago I asked our lovely club captain if she had a copy on file somewhere of the flyer that came through my mailbox back in 2010 that started all this madness.

I really wanted a copy of it to add to my scrapbook story of this Fairway to Fifty project(Volume 1 of which has just been completed) .
With some trouble Alisoun was able to find this and gave it to me yesterday.

 So here is a little plug for a tremendous and welcoming golf club,that has managed to survive several bouts of major liquefaction on the fairways and greens after both the February and June earthquakes of 2011 here in Christchurch.

Fortuitous Flyer

Perfect timing!
And a great adventure begun without me even realizing.

I remember I attended that very first lesson with great trepidation as I was still very shy about going out in public with my big (and to me terribly noticeable)facial scars post surgery and having lost so much confidence physically I doubted my body would even be able to manage to swing a club with all the tight stiffness and lack of movement in my neck and shoulder.
I could not believe how heavy those clubs felt and how impossible it seemed to even hit the ball.
I came home with an injury-but not one I expected. Somehow I managed to slash my thumb open with the fingernail of my opposing thumb as I attempted what seemed an incredibly awkward way to hold a club.


Having played a lot of hockey in my youth to provincial level I thought I would have no problems actually hitting the ball!


Wrong.
But I was back the next week.


Giving Golf a Go.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment